12/18/2011

The Holiday Season

Dear Family and Friends, HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!! Now on to the updates:
As I started my new journey with the new guy, Calvin, there was only enough time to squeeze in a few competitions before the eventing season in our area was over in November. We ended up WINNING two events, and the third one we would have won if Calvin had not decided to have too much fun in our first line in the stadium jumping phase (zealous squealing and a little bucking caused us to get distracted and have a rail down). But everything else was perfect! We scored a 29 in dressage at each three of our events in a row, which I am exceptionally happy about, but hopefully we can go out next season and lower that score by a few points.
Kelly and I on brothers, Nalu and Calvin

Most of the OCET team has already moved to Florida to train and compete in the warmer weather, but a few of us ended up staying in Virginia a little while longer. I plan on moving myself and my horses down right after the holidays. To me, Thanksgiving and Christmas are just not the same in 80 degree weather. I am a traditionalist, and like my Christmas lights with some snow and hot cocoa. Also, after having jumped right into work at the O’Connors’ immediately after graduation, I never got to fully recover from final exams, so having this bit of quieter time has been nice, and rather rewarding. I have gotten to ponder my life plans a bit more, and came up with a few more long term goals for myself. But more on that later.

Some other good news is that the little off the track race horse that I got is back in action! Johnny got kicked while turned out in his field and had to have a few months off, but he is back, and ready to start getting in the groove of things again.

And the best news yet: Little Phil’s leg is healing beautifully!! Dr. Ober re-scanned him recently, and gave me the clear to start turning him out in average sized fields for a few hours a day! Hooray! He has been enjoying getting to move around freely in his paddock and occasionally likes to show off his special talent: a dance that involves rearing and bucking in circles, and sometimes in-place. He’s special. But I am in such high spirits knowing that he is progressing this well.
More updates to come when we migrate to Florida! Again, Happy Holidays everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment